Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Laugh Your Ass Off with Desus & Mero of the Hilarious Podcast 'Bodega Boys'

Desus & Mero
By Kira Sparkles

While going through my Facebook a few months back, I started to see clips of Desus and Mero on my wall. I didn’t know who they were, but they were hilarious and I loved their commentary on everything from the news, to internet videos, to black media. Desus and Mero covered it all and I immediately got drawn in.

Then when I was looking for a new podcast to listen to, Desus and Mero came up again with their Podcast “Bodega Boys.” Now listen, when it comes to podcasts, I’m on a ton of them. Some are thought provoking, some are educational, but Bodega Boys is where I come to laugh my ass off and unwind. 

But who are Desus and Mero?


Desus & Mero phoro via GQ
They’re from the Bronx, they’re buds and they’re here to tell you exactly how they feel - no holds barred. While most of their jokes have to do with being in NYC, you don’t have to be there to get the humor. Their delivery on everything and their ability to improvise is everything.

When telling people about Bodega Boys, I always say, “This podcast is trash, but I love it.”

And so does everyone else. Their success from Bodega Boys has brought with it a tour of live shows. They even had a show on Viceland up until very recently when Showtime offered them a glow-up offer they couldn’t refuse.

Their special guests included Estelle, Terry Crews, Hannibal Burress and Tracee Ellis Ross to name a few.

Interestingly enough, the thing that gets me the most about them is their ability to constantly check themselves. Whenever I hear about a show typically hosted by men, I have to brace myself against the inevitable misogyny, but Desus and Mero constantly call themselves out on being problematic in a funny way (To quote Desus, “God is working on all of us.”) Better than being called out? They correct themselves in a way that’s not forced while giving nods to the LGBTQ+ community. They’re growing and their brand is strong. Here’s a few of my favorites.



Mero is Dominican. He won’t let you forget. When it comes to Dominican Independence Day though? Mero comes ready to celebrate, and so will you.


There’s also the time that Mero almost caught Amanda Seales’ hands from an old Tweet.



I’m always here for a good, strong read. Desus is usually the more contained part of the duo, but watching him pop off on DJ Envy makes me giggle. Sometimes, living through someone else getting deep in their feelings is therapeutic to the soul.



And of course, it’s not Desus and Mero unless the McDonald’s Filet-O-Fish gets brought up at least once per season.

Desus and Mero’s Showtime show isn’t slated to play until next year, but until then, there’s plenty of content to catch up on and an ongoing podcast.

 Are you guys rocking with the brand as much as I am?
Kira is a passionate, outspoken writer keeping it real for the people. She's a UF graduate with a soft spot for cats. Read more of her work at her blog KiraSparkles!


from Natural Hair Care | Curly Nikki https://ift.tt/2OhxB79

No comments:

Post a Comment