Friday, March 2, 2018

Aevin Dugas Holds the Guiness World Record For Largest Afro & She's Naturally Glam!


Aevin Dugas
Some women know how to make a statement and Aevin Dugas is one such woman! Hailing from a small town outside of Louisiana called Napoleonville- "Eve's Bayou" was filmed there as was parts of Beyonce's "Lemonade"- you know she knows how to spice things up! Natural for 20 years, and currently holding the Guiness World Record for the Largest Fro, we had to chat with Aevin about what she uses on her hair, how she stays fit, and her hair crush... If you're feeling this beauty, please subscribe to her IG page and leave us a comment below!

Continue


What products do you use on your hair?
Honestly, I use an array of products anywhere from ones I’ve made myself to everyday drugstore products. It just depends on what I’m in the mood to do to my hair on any given day and what works best for my hair. I believe in using what works for you and I’m all about a bargain…my products can seriously range from $2 drugstore products to pricier specialty products.

What do you do and why do you love it?
I work part time in my family’s business which is a group home for women with special needs. I love it because not only was I raised in the business for 30+ years, but it gave me an understanding of individuals with disabilities and how much they are an integral part of the world we live in. The women in our home have become my extended family! As it relates to my natural hair endeavors, I’m currently working on some things in the hair and beauty area as we speak, so stay tuned!


What do you do for fun?
It depends! I can stay home and watch Lifetime movies, binge on a Netflix series and be totally happy! I also like to do my hair and try new styles, methods and products or do my makeup and try different looks and makeup products to see which products blend well with each other. And like any southern woman, I LOVE to cook! Or like any girl… brunch with friends!

How do you stay healthy?
I stay healthy by working out at least 3 days a week and TRYING to eat as healthy as possible. I’m really into the natural way of life so I like making tonics and solutions for anything from a common cold to hair growth. But don’t get it twisted…I love my Snickers and Girl Scout cookies or McDonald’s ice cream (If the machine is working haha) ONCE in a while!

How has having natural hair contributed to your life?

Having natural hair has contributed greatly because for one, I found who I truly was once I went back to wearing my natural hair. You know how someone is trying to “find themselves?” Well, I “found myself” once going back to wearing my hair natural and it boosted my self-esteem through the roof because I knew who I was, and was completely happy with ME. Plus the Largest Afro Guinness World Records title gave me a platform to be able to reach people about natural hair and why going back to wearing your natural hair is healthy for you. BUT at the end of the day if you don’t want to be natural I totally understand and support that as well because it’s YOUR HAIR YOUR CHOICE and healthy hair is the goal.



What's been the best part of your natural hair journey or your hair journey in general? Besides the Guinness World Record title, I’d say the absolute best part of all of this has been being able to positively influence people all over the world to wearing natural hair and accepting it. Especially little girls because for me influencing and being a role model to them is so important. It’s about keeping them from even experiencing half of what I went through and how I felt about my hair growing up. It shouldn’t have, but it played a HUGE ROLE in my life and how I felt about myself and it was all because of how the world viewed natural hair. But thank God, I got past it.

Did you have any positive hair role models growing up?
I did have a positive hair role model, it was my mother. She's also my hair crush. Although she wore her hair relaxed she had a picture of her with an Afro and that picture always stood out for me. She would speak so positive about how much she loved her Afro and would tell me how she maintained it. Like setting her hair with pieces of a paper bag. So when I finally went back to wearing my hair natural she was so supportive and eventually went natural herself. Now she wears an Afro religiously every day.



Do you let people touch your hair? 
I used to let some people touch my hair if their “energy” felt right then I realized they were comfortable with touching it but I was uncomfortable with being touched so I don’t allow it anymore unless I know the person. Half the time people just want to feel to see if it’s real. At this point I have nothing to prove to anyone regarding the validity of whether or not my hair is real.....google me lol

Have you had any negative experiences with natural hair?
I have had some negative experiences with my hair being natural. For instance when I first cut my hair aka did the “big chop” as it’s referred to now people said some really mean and hurtful things about me. It went so far as to where they bullied my little sister about me cutting my hair. Keep in mind we’re 11 years apart in age, so I was truly confused by it all. I even had a cousin who made some statement about me wearing my hair like that wasn’t Godly or something like that. Needless to say his wife went natural years later and still is to this day.....I wonder how he feels about natural hair now?? Insults lead to imitation leads to flattery!



What's the best hair advice you give to other women?
The best hair advice I can give someone about wearing your hair natural is have patience.....Enjoy every length. It’ll grow it just takes time. Give products a chance to work. Just because it didn’t work the first time doesn’t mean it’s a no go. You may have used it wrong, possibly paired it with the wrong product or maybe your application wasn’t correct. Application of a product is so important! Also you may “crush” on others hair but for goodness sake please LOVE YOUR OWN....This is probably the most important because I’m seeing people who are going die hard for these bloggers, vloggers and Instagram “celebrities” and you must remember, they’re good at doing their hair. That person went through the same process as you and now they’ve reached “natural hair freedom” so to speak, so pretty much anything they do to their hair will look good. But you’re so fixated on that person’s hair that you want that for yourself......that’s their curl pattern and their length and their style....not yours. You have to reach your own “Natural Hair Freedom.” Find and settle into your own curl pattern, your own length and your own styles.....Because one day when that person that you idolize with the 'perfect hair' realizes that they’ve “become their hair,” they may chop it all off.....leaving you “crushed”....

Keep up with Aevin here!
Facebook @Aevin Dugas
Instagram @aevindugas
Twitter @aevinjude

If you'd like to be featured in Naturally Glam- whether you live here or abroad- submit your photos to naturallyglam@curlynikki.com

from Natural Hair Care | Curly Nikki http://ift.tt/2oKNcA5

No comments:

Post a Comment