Thursday, March 22, 2018

Find Out the Refreshing Way 'Atlanta' Actress Zazie Beetz Deals with Stress

Zazie Beetz via Photo: PG / Splash News
By Erickka Sy Savané

Okay, first, let me say that there is no perfect way to deal with stress. The way you deal is the way you deal and as long as you're not hurting anyone, more power to you! However, we can all learn a thing or two by hearing how others deal. And let's face it, black women talking about our mental health is relatively new. So when I read 'Atlanta' breakout actress Zazie Beetz chatting about the refreshing way that she deals with anxiety in this month's Glamour mag, my ears perked all the way up! 

Zazie says, 
"I used to wait tables at a place that was exhausting. I'd work 10 or 11 hours at a time and felt like I couldn't keep up. During a particularly busy shift, I was reprimanded for something I'd done wrong. I left feeling so depleted that I completely lost my shit in the bathroom. The entire time there, I kept thinking, I could leave now and never come back." 
Danny Glover & Zazie Beetz 

One could assume that life would be all grits and gravy now that Zazie is on a hit television show, however, that's not exactly the case...she also says, 
"Sometimes, on set, I have that same feeling: I could just walk away; this is too much. I'll get so overwhelmed that I find a corner to cry in for five minutes. Then I stand up, brush my tears away, tell myself, "You worked hard to get here," and get back to it. What I've learned is that bailing would mean giving in to anxiety, fear, and the myth that those things have any right to dictate my life. I remind myself that, though there was a time anxiety might have stopped me, today is not that day. And so by checking in with myself, minute by minute, I push myself through. I recognize the achievement. Maybe I didn't clean my apartment, but I made it through work. And that's enough."
Good to know she's not letting stress hold her back. After all, she's set to star in 'Deadpool 2' alongside Ryan Reynolds, and Steven Soderbergh's 'High Flying Bird.' And we suspect, this is only the beginning! 'Atlanta' returns to FX on March 1st.  

How do you deal with stress? Will you be watching the new season of 'Atlanta?'
Erickka Sy Savané is managing editor of CurlyNikki.com, a wife, mom, and freelance writer based in Jersey, City, NJ. Her work has appeared in Essence.comEbony.com, Madamenoire.com, xoNecole.com, and more. When she’s not writing...wait, she’s always writing! Follow her on TwitterInstagram or ErickkaSySavane.com


from Natural Hair Care | Curly Nikki http://ift.tt/2ucJ6qg

No comments:

Post a Comment