Wednesday, February 15, 2017

My Scary Experience with Pre-Eclampsia After Delivery



Big Sis Gia and her baby Max

So there I was, taking in the miracle that just happened. Little Max was finally here! The hospital let us go home ahead of schedule so we could get some rest and love on him and kiss his tiny fingers and toes. We were settling in to being a family of four, and it was all good. Uncomplicated pregnancy. Uncomplicated delivery. One, handsome, healthy baby boy and his healthy mom.

Continue!>>>

#AugustMaxwell #BabyMax


Fast forward a week later and I'm feeling and looking like the old me, until this headache... no pain meds would touch it. My head is pounding, and my feet and ankles are more swollen than when I was pregnant. Something just didn't feel right, guys.

I thought we were in the clear, since I didn't have any issues during the pregnancy. I knew I had perfectly uneventful pre-natal appointments-- nothing but normal screenings, awesome blood pressure, gorgeous urine, etc AND I was fine when we left the hospital. But this headache was truly serious. I couldn't see straight, and it hit FAST.

Here's what I didn't know: even after birth, moms are at risk for complications. Preeclampsia only affects 1 out of every 12 pregnancies, but it can lead to seizures and even death. Scary, right? The symptoms include headaches that won't go away, blurred vision, and sky high blood pressure--all of the things that landed me right back in the hospital on Valentine's Day.

Even though I'd been monitored during my pregnancy, and both baby Max and I were healthy through the whole 9 months, postpartum preeclampsia is a rare condition that only happens to 5.7% of new moms. Many women don't show any signs or symptoms during pregnancy.

If you have signs of preeclampsia, it's important to get to your doctor or hospital straight away. It was really bizarre-- something told me to grab Dr. Daddy and head to the dreaded ER immediately and now I'm thankful we did, or it could've gone much worse for us. They immediately started me on Magnesium Sulfate (to prevent seizures) and my blood pressure has been pretty stable the last 12 hours (they've been taking it every 15 minutes!)  I've never had 'the pressures', as the old folks say, so this is all new territory for me. Thankfully, they re-admitted me to Labor and Delivery so I could have Max here with me too!  We are truly blessed.


I've been using my gifted Medela pump (I'm making milk like gangbusters-- I'm up to 30oz a day) and storing here at the hospital... haven't missed a beat.


And thanks to the Airbnb #WaltonAbbey partnership, I don't have to worry about Gia! Our parents are still here and taking her to and from school, attending her assemblies and taking turns relieving Dr. Daddy out here at the hospital.


Also, with all the goings on, I forgot that my Aunt Toney is scheduled to arrive today-- but with Airbnb's gifted #WaltonAbbey in place, she's good to go!

I'm recovering and taking it easy. Keep up those prayers, chicas! And if you know a woman who's given birth recently, give her a call to check in.

Later Gators,
Nik


from Natural Hair Care | Curly Nikki http://ift.tt/2llsXsq

No comments:

Post a Comment