Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Have Several Seats (At the Table)


by Tiffani Greenaway of MyMommyVents.com

Solange Knowles hasn't let that lime stop her.

On Friday, she released her fourth studio album, A Seat at the Table. And it is LIT.

Continue!>>>


"My husband, Alan, and I wanted to represent black sisterhood, strength, pride, and elevate the black man and all of his beauty and glory," Solange told Vogue. "This was our way of contributing to that narrative." With guest appearances by Lil Wayne, Master P, Tweet, and more, and the stunning visuals in two videos released on Sunday night, Solange is snatching edges. But don't touch her hair.

"In “Don’t Touch My Hair” I wanted to present this super majestic and regal image of black people, black culture, and black street culture...Two of my biggest inspirations throughout the album were Patrice Rushen and Syreeta Wright, who both wore their hair with these beautiful beaded braids. This was my nod to them. It was about creating looks with the hair that were iconic black hairstyles, but also presenting them in a way that felt very me."


A Seat at the Table chronicles what it's like to be Black in America. In a press release, Solange described the album as “a project on identity, empowerment, independence, grief, and healing.”

"Although I wanted the album to have those moments of grief, and being able to be angry and express rage, and trying to figure out how to cope in those moments. I also wanted it to make people feel empowered and [that] in the midst of all of this we can still dream, and uplift, and laugh like we always have," she told Fader.

Both Mama Tina and Matthew Knowles add their voices to the album, with pieces on “Interlude: Dad Was Mad” and “Interlude: Tina Taught Me.” In an interview with her mom, Solange spoke about how the racial climate in the US influenced the album.

"When I felt afraid or when I felt like this record would be so different from my last, I would see or hear another story of a young black person in America having their life taken away from them, having their freedom taken away," she said. "That would fuel me to go back and revisit and sometimes rewrite some of these songs to go a little further and not be afraid to have the conversation.”


Go get yourself a seat.

***********************************
Tiffani Greenway is the wife and mom behind MyMommyVents, a New York city parenting blog. Her tips have been seen on Yahoo Parenting, Mommy Noire, and Fit Pregnancy. Find more of Tiffani's work at mymommyvents.com.



from Curly Nikki | Natural Hair Care http://ift.tt/2dKdvoa

No comments:

Post a Comment