Friday, June 24, 2016

Why You Should Big Chop Again This Summer!

IG @shadesofkinky 

by Sabrina Perkins of SeriouslyNatural.org

The term big chop has been coined by the natural hair community as the triumphant return to your ‘natural’ self after cutting off all traces of chemically-treated hair. Emotions run high as you say goodbye to everything you once knew, and embrace this new lifestyle as what you’ve always wanted to be.

Confident. Beautiful. Strong.

These feelings resonate well with those who have enjoyed the freedom of daily wash & gos without much else to worry about. Now your hair has grown in, you made it through the awkward stage, you’re loving your length until you realize just how much work long natural hair requires.

There are so many cute short styles that we have access to now that we may not have realized back in ’06 when the natural hair community was still on the come-up. With sites like Pinterest, Tumblr, Instagram, even Facebook there is a plethora of natural hair inspo that leaves us itching to do the chop again, so why are we still on the fence? Here are a few reasons why you should consider a second big chop this summer.

Continue!>>>


It’s Hot!
That’s a no-brainer, right? I can’t enjoy an 88 degree day with a twistout, braidout or any other kind of –out because it’s too hot for all of that! Your scalp is all sweaty, your hair is radiating the heat from the sun; acting as your own personal furnace and your curls ain’t popping no more because it’s humid. It’s like, what’s the point?! Sometimes you just want to feel a breeze on your neck!

You're Beyond Tired of Protective Styling
I’m someone who loves wearing her hair out all of the time. I hate, hate, hate, absolutely abhor protective styles because most of them don’t flatter me and I hate wearing weaves (I know, right? I’m a martian…) As a matter of fact, during the summer my hair pretty much stays under some type of headscarf about 89% of the time JUST so that I can go out looking presentable. I’m ti’ed, y’all…

You Miss Wash & Gos
Okay, I know that achieving a wash & go is still possible with my long hair, BUT with longer hair comes a longer process. The longer it takes you to finish styling a wash & go, it pretty much starts defeating the whole entire purpose of the ‘wash & go’ to begin with, right? I mean, is it still a wash & go after 45 mins? I don’t think so. We out here struggling, fam.

Using Less Products
Obviously. But this is important for those of us living that Shea Moisture or DevaCurl life. A tub of Leave-in will usually last me about 3 weeks or so, depending on how often I wash my hair and how I style it. With shorter hair, I remember holding on to products for months! That both saved money and helped me keep my regimen consistent. If you’re on a budget, cut it in half with a BC.

Freedom
I miss being free. I miss waking up, taking my shower, styling in 5 mins and being DONE. I miss being able to leave the house without throwing a headscarf and some scrunchies in my purse. I miss that confidence that you exude when your hair is short and for some reason you feel as though you slay everything and take over the world. Or maybe that’s just me…

While it’s definitely a preferential thing, doing another big chop is something to greatly consider if you miss the TWA life and are tired of spending hours on your hair. It's not always about needing to do it to for damage. Sometimes you just want to live the simpler life.

Inspiriation!




from Curly Nikki | Natural Hair Care http://ift.tt/28SaGcX

No comments:

Post a Comment