Wednesday, June 15, 2016

I Cheated... and Loved It!

  
IG @candicoatedcurls 

by Tiffani Greenaway of MyMommyVents.com

Ever since I was a little girl, I've loved experimenting with different hairstyles.

My mom would send me to school with two neat plaits, and I'd step off the bus with a Solange-esque 'fro. In 8th grade, I'd rock my hair in a half up, half down style with the bang falling over my eye, like Aaliyah. In college, I colored it honey blonde in the dorm bathroom. I've always been impulsive with my hair, figuring if I hate it, I can always grow it/weave it/dye it/go bald and start over.

Continue!>>>


Although I've gone to one gifted stylist for the past 7 years (with occasional Dominican blowouts in between), I wasn't worried when I stepped into a new salon, looking for a cute summer cut. I saw a two-toned pixie style that I loved on IG, and had to get it done, like, yesterday.

The stylist behind the original cut was located in Virginia, so I searched @TheCutLife to helped me find styles from a salon in my area. I looked on Yelp to see reviews from real customers, and one name kept popping up--KiKi.

I was able to text KiKi, and send her a screenshot of the style I wanted. I let her know that my hair was natural, and we made an appointment after work.

I left with a cut that will keep me on point all summer '16.

If you're considering giving a new stylist a try, here are my tips:

Research, research, research.
Find as much info as you can. Read Yelp reviews, look at pictures on social media, and Google your potential stylist. I was able to find out that KiKi had been doing hair for 19 years, and that the salon was unisex--something I wasn't used to.

Go in for a consultation.
If you're not as impulsive as I am with your strands, make an appointment for a consultation. You'll get a chance to see the salon in person, and feel out the vibe of the person who will be doing your hair.

Come prepared.
I texted KiKi a picture of the style I wanted, but forgot to mention that I was growing out my shaved sides--she improvised when I got there, but was able to shape my cut a little better so that it can grow out into a bob. Bring pictures, and tell your potential stylist everything he or she needs to know up front.

I love my hair, and can't wait to play around in it! I'll go back to my regular stylist, but it's good to know that I have another option that will keep me in style.

Have you ever cheated?


*********************

Tiffani Greenway is the wife and mom behind MyMommyVents, a New York city parenting blog. Her tips have been seen on Yahoo Parenting, Mommy Noire, and Fit Pregnancy. Find more of Tiffani's work at mymommyvents.com.


from Curly Nikki | Natural Hair Care http://ift.tt/1WNyiWl

No comments:

Post a Comment