Friday, June 17, 2016

Cree Brown- 'My Breakthrough Happened When I Became Loyal to My Hair, Not a Brand'



by Cree Brown

In 2010, when I started my natural hair journey, I was at the gym and a curlfriend recommended I try SheaMoisture products because the ingredients were better than what I was using. From 2010 until late 2015, SheaMoisture was all that I used. I had SheaMoisture erythang. But, in November 2015, I noticed what I believed to be a change in their product’s consistency, more specifically with the Curl Enhancing Smoothie. I was in panic mode because the consistency was so off I was afraid to use it. I had no idea what to do. The ends of my hair were becoming increasingly drier, and every bit of growth was being trimmed off because my ends were so dry and damaged. I had to do something, but what?...

Continue!>>>
I had been in a relationship with SheaMoisture for most of the five years of my natural journey and the thought of changing hair products was overwhelming, but I knew something had to be done. I had to make the decision to choose my hair’s health over product loyalty. From November 2015 to March of 2016, I, aka Poor Little Much Afraid (a character in Hinds Feet on High Places, by H. Hurnard), decided to try different brands of styling products. Although that seems simple enough it was a huge deal for me. When I’m committed I am committed.


At the behest of another curlfriend I tried Qhemet Biologics (Aethiopika Hydrate & Twist Butter, Amla & Olive Heavy Cream and the Olive & Honey Hydrating Balm) and suddenly life was filled with unicorns, fairies and rainbows. The Qhemet line has honey, olive oil and castor oil, among some other great ingredients, all of which my hair loves. Now, my hair stays hydrated for nearly a week which hadn’t happened in EVER! My curls keep their definition for days after I take down my braids and it’s the healthiest my hair has ever been.


When applying the products to my hair I mix the Amla & Olive Heavy Cream and the Olive & Honey Hydrating Balm together in my palm and apply to freshly cleansed and sectioned hair, over my leave-in conditioner. The Amla & Olive Heavy Cream is rich, creamy, smooth and smells amazing, like a faint hint of citrus. The Olive & Honey Hydrating Balm also has an amazing citrusy smell and has the consistency of a thick serum. The combination of the two products really smooths my hair. Next, I apply the Aethiopika Hydrate & Twist Butter and seal with an oil mixture of my choice-did I mention my hair loves oil. The Aethiopika has granules that are melted from the warmth of my palms. The granules dissolve more easily if I mix oils with it. Any residual is absorbed into my hair. Then, I install 5 to 7 seven braids and let it dry overnight. The Aethiopika has great hold without drying my hair. I only apply the products once per week on wash-day. I mist with water and may apply a little oil during the week to keep my situation fresh. I have high porosity, fine, type 3c to 4b strands with medium density.

My only complaint about Qhemet Biologics is they don’t have a deep conditioner. The Cocoa Tree Detangleing Ghee can be used as a conditioner, but you leave it in. I prefer a deep conditioner that must be rinsed. Soooo, I’m still searching for a deep conditioner. Any suggestions?


from Curly Nikki | Natural Hair Care http://ift.tt/1S97d8h

No comments:

Post a Comment