Thursday, September 7, 2017

Sanaa Lathan Goes Beyond Natural With Her New Baldie


 
Sanaa Lathan

Like Beyonce dropped Lemonade, Sanaa dropped us a video of her new baldie for the movie “Nappily Ever After’ and the internet hasn’t been the same. What’s the big deal? Women cut their hair everyday. Let's take closer a look. 

Let’s be real, it’s not everyday that a woman shaves her head. When Britney Spears did it back in the day she was banging out car windows with a baseball bat. Though many of us have no problem going natural, going bald is truly the next frontier. 

It’s crossed my mind. Especially, on those days when I’m just tired of my hair. Tired of twisting, braiding and the endless search for my ‘natural’ curl. Let's not even talk about texture wars. Then I think about my head shape and how I’ve never seen my scalp. I mean, I was a bald baby for the longest, but I can’t really expect my head to look the same. Plus, what if I’m one of those women who just looks better with hair, like those hairless cats? Once I cut my hair really short and my grandfather said I looked like a rat.

My friend Sidra who went bald over 15 years ago because she was tired being a slave to every type of hair weave, says it’s the best decision she ever made. She’s got more time to do the things she loves and when it comes to attention she says, “I get more attention bald than I ever got with a weave.”

Judging by the sheer force of attention and love being cast Sanaa’s way, it’s easy to believe. Peep her instagram. 


But it’s not just that Sanaa cut her hair off and looks amazing- no, better than ever- that has everyone’s panties in a bunch. It’s the discovery of who she is. If you thought you knew what Sanaa was about, think again. Look at the video and even she seems to be discovering herself too, which makes sense because how often do we see ourselves without our protective layers?

Women who have shaved their heads say every woman should do it at least once. Like they know something we don’t...I’m starting to think it’s true. I'm starting to wonder what's beyond natural, what's a next step? What does it look like?

It looks like Sanaa Lathan. Free as a bird.

“I feel so light, I could fly away,” she says, like the perfect end to summer.


  Soooooo, would you ever shave your head or have you? What's it like?

Erickka Sy Savané is the managing editor of CurlyNikki.com, a wife, mom, and freelance writer based in Jersey, City, NJ. Her work has appeared in Essence.comEbony.com, Madamenoire.com, xoNecole.com, and more. When she’s not writing...wait, she’s always writing! Follow her on Twitter, Instagram or  



from Natural Hair Care | Curly Nikki http://ift.tt/2xQUC8H

No comments:

Post a Comment