Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Here's How Women Are Protecting Their Black Girl Magic During A Trump Presidency

Photo courtesy of Essence//March On Washington 2017
Written by Mike Orie of TheConsciousTip.com

Everyday there's a different headline about what's going on with the Trump Administration. And while it's affecting a lot of us, many are choosing to focus on life outside of what's going on in The White House.

Continue Reading


Essence recently caught up with a few women of color during the March on Washington to discuss how they're protecting their Black Girl Magic during this new era of President Trump. Some of the common themes are centered are self-focus and community. Two important things needed to progress but individually and as a society. Read and excerpt from the video and watch it below.

"I plan to continue my black girl magic by setting goals, especially my New Year's Resolutions that I have set for myself. And I feel as though the presidency doesn't affect how I'm going to prosper, and how I'm gonna push on, and how I'm gonna continue. I plan to graduate within the next year, and I already think that that's an accomplishment as a black female."

Another woman chimed in: "I plan to continue my Black Girl Magic by always remembering my foundation and that I come from a family of strong, incredible black women. And continuing to inspire other black women and women of color."

What actions are you taking to protect your sanity under this new Trump Administration? Share in the comment section.
********************
Mike "Orie" Mosley is a freelance writer/photographer and cultural advocate from St. Louis. He holds a Bachelor of Arts in Arts, Entertainment & Media Management from Columbia College Chicago and a Masters in Higher Education Administration from LSU. He is also the co-founder of music and culture website http://ift.tt/1QXC23X. In his spare time, he's probably listening to hip hop & neo soul music, hitting up brunch or caught up in deep conversations about Black music. You can follow him on Twitter @mike_orie or on Instagram @mikeorie


from Natural Hair Care | Curly Nikki http://ift.tt/2jS7SCi

No comments:

Post a Comment