Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Why I Started Rocking Box Braids in the Boardroom


By Chantal Kai-Lewis

Last week, Malia Obama was spotted out and about in NYC sporting box braids. That "event" made it to a Harper's Bazaar headline.

The blog and media flurry surrounding Malia's departure from her straight hairstyles brought me back to a conversation I had several summers ago on a balmy late-July day in the bustling café of my local Wegmann's. That day, I had a lunch meeting - not unlike many others I've had in recent years.

It was with a newly minted college graduate seeking career advice. In walks Lindsay, an incredibly bright, poised and (I soon learned) ambitious young lady. We talked about the ups and downs of college, our similar upbringings and, of course, plans for the future.

Roughly an hour had passed when Lindsay took a glance at my wind-strewn wash-and-go curls and after a brief pause said:
"Okay, so…this is my last question for you: How do you deal with wearing your natural hair at work?"
Admittedly, and with a tinge of embarrassment, I came to the realization that I was not qualified to answer. I never wore my natural hair to work.


from Natural Hair Care | Curly Nikki https://ift.tt/2M1bnEe

No comments:

Post a Comment