Friday, May 20, 2016

Becoming Best Friends With Humidty


IG: Stephonsamuel

By Emilia Obiekea of AdoreBotanicals.com

The #1 problem in the natural hair community is combating dry hair. For our textured hair this is definitely an issue. Cold weather robs our strands of moisture. The spring and summer months we can turn it around. Humidity can over-saturate the hair with moisture. Then when it dissipates the hair is left feeling super brittle. When we talk about humidity it is usually brought up as a bad thing but it really isn't.

Read More >>


How do I form an alliance with humidity? Easily....adjust your regimen on the spot. When it is a humid day don't do the LOC or LCO method. Yep...I said it...Do not moisturize and seal your hair for the day. Taboo right? Don't stop reading....Let me expand on this. Humidity is when there are large levels of moisture in the air. Your hair will absorb the moisture in the air throughout the day. There is no need to over moisturize your hair. Change your regimen.

New Regimen: Abbreviated Wash Day

Prepoo, Cleanse, Protein Treatment (when needed), Deep Condition, apple cider vinegar or tea rinse (optional) and do a final rinse with cool water. The cool water rinse helps to close the cuticle layer of the hair. This maintains the moisture in the hair better and smooths the cuticle.

Moisturize and Seal (LOC/ LCO method) on wash day only. On the following days (humid): Apply an oil and a cream styler (optional) to your hair as needed.

Use a blend of penetrating oils. They aid with maintaining moisture and smooth the cuticle layer of the hair. I only have to moisturize my hair 1 time midweek now! What oils are able to do this? I struggled to find oils that would preform the way I needed them to. I formulated daily dew oil and triple infused hair oil with custom blends of penetrating oils. They have the ability to be applied regularly without weighing the hair down. These are my go to oils. I apply it to my damp hair after washing and during the week as needed. This technique is how I have been able to not LCO nightly and my hair is thriving.

Low manipulation styles will be the love of your life. You should aim for styles that are not time consuming and work with your natural texture. Personally, I love to do twist outs. They traditionally have lasted the whole week for me with the abbreviated regimen from above. It leaves the hair with tons of body and softness. Wash and go styles, Braid outs, flat twists, a bun, braids or an up-do are all great optional hair styles.

Don't fight the humidity. Enjoy it!


from Curly Nikki | Natural Hair Care http://ift.tt/22iztge

No comments:

Post a Comment