Friday, April 1, 2016

3 Things I’m Doing for My Short Natural Hair's “Awkward Stage”


by Jascmeen Bush of Jascmeen.com

Every stage of the natural hair journey has its challenges. When I was transitioning I was bound to braids and buns. When I had my TWA I thought I had to wear huge earrings every day to keep from looking boyish. Now I’m firmly planted in the awkward stage and I’ve got a whole new set of issues, (the greatest being that on some days my head just ends up looking like a broccoli floret, lol!)

Continue!>>>
I’m ready for my curls to have a little hang time, ya know?! Here’s everything I’m doing to get through the awkward stage of my short natural hair journey:

1. A Growth Regimen
I’ve had an amazing six-month growth period (read all about it here) and I owe it all to a simple regimen that I follow religiously. I have yet to try any vitamins or fancy products, I just treat my short natural hair very gently with the following regimen:

Once a Week: My “LOL Method”
1. I Co-Wash with Cantu Sulfate Free Hydrating Cream Conditioner (which I prefer over their actual co-washing product)
2. Follow with their Leave-in
3. Apply Coconut Oil
4. More of the Leave-In
5. Then braid and prepare for protective styling

Every Other Day: Moisturizing and Oiling
A few times a week I’ll apply more leave-in conditioner on my braids and massage JBCO into my scalp. It’s pretty warm in LA but if I’m somewhere cooler, I’ll do this every day.

I shampoo only as needed, never detangle with a comb, and honestly don’t do protein treatments at all. By focusing on hydration and a simple regimen, my hair can thrive and grow with minimal breakage or dryness.

2. A Healthy Diet

Since I’m not really into protein treatments or vitamins, I make sure to get my protein and Biotin the old fashioned way— from food. When I first stopped eating meat, my hair was very fragile and breaking off terribly around the perimeter. Now that I focus on getting protein into my diet through vegetables and soy, and biotin from salmon and nuts, my hair has definitely felt stronger. It’s all part of my master plan to get my hair longer and out of the in between stage, plus I’ve dropped a few pounds in the process!

3. Protective Styles

I haven’t quite learned to perfect my twist-out skills, so I rely on wigs as protective styles. I have one little $20 wig that I re-buy every few months and wear almost every day.

Underneath my wig are chunky braids that are easy to moisturize and tuck into my wig. My hair is loving being babied and free from manipulation. As much as I’d love to try and be more creative, I’d rather rely on my wigs and keep my hair happy and growing. The more it grows, the sooner I’m out of this stage and on to the next.

If you’ve got any tips for getting through the awkward phase, leave them in the comments below!


from Curly Nikki | Natural Hair Care http://ift.tt/1q9hxri

No comments:

Post a Comment