Wednesday, April 20, 2016

6 Natural Hair Stereotypes I Get All the Time


by Dr. Aziza Glass of Azizaglass.com

Since I became natural and started rocking my fro, I have observed some interesting changes in my interactions with people and their perception of me. Below is a list of just a few:

Continue!>>>


When I go to a performance poetry event, all of a sudden I’m a poet that should perform at tonight’s open mic.
o Reality: I’m not a poet, but I enjoy supporting the arts and I believe performance poetry is a powerful medium to express one’s self.

I smoke weed and use rock deodorant.
o Reality: I don’t partake in either, but I’m not judging that you do.

I automatically want to be a part of a very deep discussion about the state of hip hop or politics…or what is the cause of problems with society today.
o Reality: Although I do like a good, thought-provoking discussion, right now I just want a latte.

I’m a free spirit and am not confined to society’s rules
o Reality: Yeah…I’m not DTF and whatever kind of sexual prowess I might have is going to remain a curious thought for you.

I believe people who wear weave are victims of self-hate
o Reality: Nope. The weave vs natural hair war is idiotic to me. How you want to wear your hair is a personal choice. And I could argue that wearing a weave is a protective style for natural hair. So everyone is a part of a big happy extended family.

I am a Queen and prefer to be addressed as such.
o Reality: You are absolutely correct.

What has been your experience?

*********************************************
In 2008, Dr. Aziza Glass transitioned from relaxed to natural hair and began the journey of self-discovery. Literally. Since then, she has become a fierce naturalista and proud HBCU (PVAMU) and Ivy League (Cornell) alumna. Dr. G is currently a veterinarian, entrepreneur, and TV personality.


from Curly Nikki | Natural Hair Care http://ift.tt/1VBJiG2

No comments:

Post a Comment