Tuesday, April 9, 2019

4 Wash Day Hacks: Detangling Natural Hair the Easy Way


 by Sabrina Perkins of SeriouslyNatural.org

If you’re someone who dreads the idea of wash day because of the hours you spend detangling, you’re not alone. In fact, as I’m writing this I’m cringing at the thought that I actually used to spend close to an hour and a half finger detangling my hair before wash day. While that may be because I rocked a twistout a couple of days too long or forgot to put on my bonnet before I went to sleep, I still wondered what I could possibly do in order to make this detangling process a little easier.

Now, I’m not one to go out and just buy a detangling product, because I honestly feel like its just watered down conditioner, so I went to the internet and found 4 really interesting detangling hacks to try out.

Read On!>>>
Vinyl Gloves
This one makes so much sense to me, but still manages to baffle me at how easy it is. First of all, I was confused as to why my hair managed to glide so easily through the gloves as opposed to my fingers even though I was detangling the exact same way, and I still am. My guess is the fact that there’s nothing that the hair can grip on to, so it has no choice but to separate.

Make sure you’re wearing gloves that are not too big, or else they may cause further tangling and knots. Also, make sure you hair is completely saturated with conditioner and then finger detangle as usual.

Warm the Conditioner
When I read this it was like, “Duh, that makes sense,” but this is something I’ve never even thought of doing. Warming the conditioner allows it to penetrate the hair shaft faster and better since the heat opens the cuticle, which allows the hair to become more pliable and easy to detangle. It’s best to warm the conditioner in a hot water bath so that you don’t destroy the properties of it.

Bring about 3-4 cups of water to a boil and pour into a deep bowl; place the conditioner bottle into the bowl for about 5 minutes or until the conditioner is warmed all the way through. Apply to the hair as needed and detangle as usual.

Clay Mask
So, it was wash day again and I had a week old twistout that was tangled, matted, dry, etc. but I didn’t have the time to spend detangling my hair. Although I’ve done clay masks before, I had always detangled my hair beforehand so I wasn’t aware of its detangling properties.

I decided to apply the mask (made with bentonite clay and Aloe Vera juice) to my dry hair and see what would happen. I was amazed to find that once I rinsed the mask out of my hair, detangling wasn’t even necessary. Now, I don’t exactly know how or why but my hair was like butter! I was removing shed hair with ease and I loved it.

I usually use bentonite clay and some form of Aloe Vera juice or apple cider vinegar, but make your mask as you’re accustomed to doing, apply to either wet or dry hair, leave on for 25 minutes and rinse out. Finger detangle to remove any shed hair.

Marshmallow Root
I ran across this method on Pinterest and thought it was pretty interesting. Apparently, using marshmallow root to detangle will make your process very easy. Since the mucous-like consistency of marshmallow root is similar to flax seed and Aloe Vera gel, it makes the hair very slippery and easy to detangle.

Here’s a popular recipe:
• 1-1/2 c. distilled water
• 3 tbsp Marshmallow root powder
• 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
• 2tbsp coconut oil

Bring the water to s slow simmer and take off of the stove to cool for about 1 minute. Place Marshmallow root powder into a ceramic or glass bowl and pour the hot water over it, cover and allow it to steep for 20 minutes. Strain the mixture through a mesh strainer or cheesecloth to get rid of any bits left from the powder. Add remaining ingredients and let cool until it’s room temperature and store in the refrigerator. When you’re ready to use it, just apply it to your hair in sections and finger detangle.

What detangling hacks do you have? Leave your comments below!

******************************************


CN says:
I use vinyl gloves to detangle my hair to protect my mani (especially after henna'ing, but also whenever I'm washing frequently). As long as I use the 'small' gloves, I still have great control, my hair doesn't snag on anything and my manicure lasts longer!




follow Sabrina:
Seriously Natural Blog
Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, Tumblr
Seriously Natural Boutique


from Natural Hair Care | Curly Nikki http://bit.ly/1IMVEGh

No comments:

Post a Comment